Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
Results 1 to 5 of 5

This is a discussion on Extensions problem within the Chrome Troubleshooting section, part of the Google Chrome category: I've had installed the AdSweep extension it worked flawlessly, but lately in chrome://extensions/ appeared the following error: Could not load ...


  1. #1
    mg2's Avatar
    mg2
    mg2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Karlsruhe, Germany, Europe
    Posts
    328

    Default Extensions problem

    I've had installed the AdSweep extension it worked flawlessly, but lately in chrome://extensions/ appeared the following error:

    Could not load extension from 'C:\Users\Mitko\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Extensions\C:\Users\Mitko\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\adbngiigihocpeghhjgnkklmkpopjfcc\1.6.17.2'. Manifest is missing or invalid.

    I deleted the extension manually but the error still remains.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank You.

  2. #2
    StevePaul's Avatar
    StevePaul is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    1,522

    Default

    That's your problem, deleting the extension manually screws up all its references ...

    I had a similar problem and in the end had to reinstall Chrome to sort it out ...

  3. #3
    devilslackey is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Chrome stores the information in your "Preferences" file in the Default folder. On Win7 this is:

    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

    Open the "Preferences" file using notepad and search the file for the ID matching your broken extension. Since it looks like you are using the repackaged (newest) version of Adsweep here's what you should look for in the file:

    Code:
    },
             "adbngiigihocpeghhjgnkklmkpopjfcc": {
                "location": 1,
                "path": "C:\\Users\\Dean\\AppData\\Local\\Google\\Chrome\\User Data\\Default\\Extensions\\adbngiigihocpeghhjgnkklmkpopjfcc\\1.6.17.2",
                "state": 1
             },
    Delete the appropriate information to make the exact same select read like this:

    Code:
    },
    This should completely remove the reference to the extension without the need to uninstall/reinstall Chrome and reconfigure. I've tested this with Adsweep and it worked perfectly.

    I've also moved this thread into Chrome Troubleshooting since this is not a bug in Chrome, but more of a generic problem you were having with Chrome as a result of not using the included uninstall method for extensions.
    Last edited by devilslackey; 06-28-2009 at 02:21 PM.

  4. #4
    mg2's Avatar
    mg2
    mg2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Karlsruhe, Germany, Europe
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Thank you very much

  5. #5
    devilslackey is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Anytime. Glad to be of help :-D

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •