I finally got this Googlepedia Plugin working on my Google Chrome. Its developer, James Hall had emailed me sometime ago about it but i was not able to get this working. Now with the latest Google Dev Update 220.127.116.11 the Google Team has really improved the extensions framework by atleast a 100 times by implementing an extensions window and tabbing of API events and a lot of other stuff.
GooglePedia Plugin For Chrome
Coming back to Googlepedia Extension, this was originally built for Mozilla Firefox and was then adapted to other browsers and finally to Google Chrome. Once the plugin is installed, it shows you a relevant Wikipedia article along with your google search results and clicking on the links in the article triggers new google searches.
- Internal Wikipedia links turned into Google search links.
- Images linked directly to their full-sized versions.
- Removes the Sponsored Results in Google Search.
- Ability to Expand, Shrink and Disable the Plugin using inbuilt buttons.
It is to be kept in mind that Chrome Extensions are still in beta and are not fully supported and thus only available in the Dev Channel. In order install the plugin/extension please read the following instructions:
- Download the Chrome Channel Switcher if you are not already a dev channel user
- Save/Run the application and change your channel to ‘Dev’.
- Start Google Chrome & Click the ‘Wrench’ icon, then ‘About’ and then ‘Check For Updates’ and wait for the update to finish. This would get the latest Dev Version of Chrome installed.
- Close the Chrome window, Add ––enable-extensions to your Chrome command line by right clicking on Chrome application shortcut; as in image and restart Chrome again.
- Download the extension by clicking here Googlepedia Extension - - 0.5.8
- Open The Extension (if google chrome does not automatically opens it), a window will open asking for installation confirmation. Click on ‘OK’.
- Now your extension has been installed. To confirm just do a search in google and you would see the wikipedia article panel on the right (as in the image illustration)
I hope you guys like this. This is just a modest beginning i am sure as the extensions framework is improved an improving with every update more and more such cool plugins would be released.
If you are a developer and have made any plugin/extension/add-on or software for Google Chrome browser and want it to be show-cased on our premier google chrome resource site then feel free to contact us.